Thursday, March 5, 2009

Santana Aims to Pitch Opening Day


Despite lots of fear among Mets' fans over Johan Santana not being able to pitch Opening Day due to stiffness in his left elbow, Johan reported yesterday that with the help of Dan Warthen (his pitching coach), he is making healthy progress and is shooting towards starting the Opening Day game on April 6.

Santana Said;
"Right now, my mind-set is for Opening Day, I'm a professional. I know exactly what it takes for me to be ready. I've been doing this for a long time. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready."

Unlike Santana, Warthen displayed some doubt over a full recovery by April 6 and discussed the possibility of Santana making his first regular season start just 2 few days later, in the second series against the Marlins. Jerry Manuel, the manager of the Mets reported confidence in Santana;
"Johan knows Johan, and he assures me that he'll be ready for Opening Day. So I have to agree with that. I don't see any reason why there should be any different plans than that. Not this first week in March when he just lit your eyes up on the sideline. You have templates that you like to follow. Everybody don't fit those templates. That's why he is who he is. They don't fit him."

Santana is not only the best pitcher on the Mets, some say he is the best player. Being that, we could not afford to lose Johan by carelessly playing him before he is fully healed. He should focus on his starts and less on what order they are in, whether first, second or third game. Regardless of if he will be fit to play April 6 or not, what is most important is that he makes his 34 starts this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment