Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ryan Church MISSED Third Base

Yeah, Ryan Church literally missed third base while he was running the bases! In the top of the 11th inning with two out, the poor Met ran over the base instead of on it, making the unearned run into an out. It was just humiliating and Church should feel ashamed. Below is the Post-Game Extra from SNY, where you could see Church and Jerry's reaction did the unbelievable error. Jerry comments:

"Uhh, a guy missed third base. That’s unbelievable. I can’t explain why or how or anything. But, he actually missed the base… To me, it’s just hard to miss third base. I’ve known some guys to miss first, because they’re looking for the ball and misstep, but I have rarely, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a guy miss third base in a situation like that. I don’t know, I don’t have any explanation"


If the top of the 11th inning wasn't sad enough, the bottom of the inning definitely topped off the Mets embarrassment. 'Brian Stokes walked the lead-off hitter, who advanced to second the following play when Angel Pagan and Carlos Beltran did not communicate on a pop up that dropped between them for a hit. Jerry Manuel intentionally walked Juan Pierre, and then put Beltran on the infield next to second base, as the rest of the infield played in on the edge of the grass. Stokes got a weak pop up for one out, then got the desired hard ground ball to first, which could have been a double play, but Reed, who is not necessarily a skilled first baseman, and who made a nice scoop, chucked the ball low, wide and past Ramon Castro, letting the winning run score.' Beltran said of the error:

"I called for the ball like six times,But Pagan stood in the middle and I couldn't put my glove on the ball. On a ball like that, I have priority. If Pagan would have called for that ball, my job is to get out of the way. He's been in center field before, so he knows that when the center fielder calls for the ball, everyone has to get out of the way."




Even though we've lost the last two games, at least we're still in first place!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment